Showing customer appreciation is a great way to secure returning orders and besides, it’s a nice thing to do.
If it weren’t for your customers, you wouldn’t be in business.
So, obviously, you want to give them the very best experience when they choose you to be their source of… whatever it is you sell.
And while we can’t all afford to give out expensive gifts to our loyal customers, we CAN show them appreciation in inexpensive, yet thoughtful and practical ways.
Keep reading for 20 ways you can show customer appreciation and keep them coming back for more.
- Create Valuable Content – Whether you are posting on facebook or some other social media platform, blogging, or selling products and/or services, it is your responsibility to give your readers/followers the very best.
Don’t be a carbon copy of everyone else online. Spend time reading and researching so you can create your own content that helps, educates, uplifts and entertains your followers.
- Remember their birthdays! – Everyone loves to be remembered on their birthday! You can show customer appreciation by sending birthday cards and/or small gifts or even giving special birthday discounts.
- Send handwritten cards and notes. – Be sure to include handwritten thank you card or note with every purchase.
Even if your customers order online, don’t rely on social media to say thank you! Send them a thank you card through snail-mail as well!
- Hold random giveaways and offer free samples! – Does your company come out with new products regularly? Most people like to try before they buy, so stock up and offer free samples when new products hit the market!
Giveaways are also a great way to keep your customers excited about doing business with you! You can celebrate business goals such as reaching a particular # of people in your Facebook Group, or 6 months in business, etc. by giving away a popular item from your inventory!
- Gift-wrap purchases! – Have you ever received an order that was almost too pretty to unwrap? I bet it stood out in your mind and made the experience super exciting, didn’t it?
Give your customers the same thrill when they receive orders sent by you and they’ll be looking forward to their next order in no time!
- Make their customer experience with you simple and enjoyable. – When someone places an order with you personally or through your website, you should make it a point to assist in any way possible.
For orders taken personally, make sure you deliver on time and don’t leave your customers wondering where their product is. Provide tracking information if you are using the postal system any time it is available. And always remember to follow up!
- Follow up, follow up, follow up! – One of the most important parts of showing your customer appreciation is to follow up with them after they have made a purchase!
Ask them what they liked about the product and if they need any more information on how to use it. Don’t let your conversation end after the sale. Always continue to provide exceptional customer service, even after the sale has been made.
Once you’ve gotten into the habit of following up, it will become like second nature. In the meantime, keep excellent records to remind you when a follow-up message will need to be made.
- Create Online Communities. – Consider creating a VIP group on Facebook for your customers. This is a great way to be able to connect with them and even offer special treatment such as ‘First To Know’ information and VIP Only Specials.
- Communicate Regularly. – Whether this is through social media, snail-mail, or the use of an autoresponder (preferably all 3!), staying in contact with your customers regularly helps you to build relationships in which they know, like and trust you. And, it keeps you forefront in their minds when thinking about placing their next order.
- Respond to social media messages, comments & conversations. – This goes hand-in-hand with communicating regularly. When you spend time socializing with your customers online, they won’t see you as the person who only posts or comments when you want to sell something.
- Build genuine relationships. – Make it a point to learn about your customers! Remember their names, their anniversaries, birthdays, how many kids they have & what they like to do! The more you focus on them, the more they’ll enjoy their relationship with you both personally and professionally.
- Ask for their opinions and feedback. – Not only will this make them feel important and give them a chance to let you know what they like and don’t like, but it is also a great opportunity for you to learn the information that will help you help them!
- Send Welcome Packs to new customers. – Want to increase your chances of getting repeat business? Send welcome packs including samples and discount coupons or codes to your newest customers. They’ll appreciate the thoughtful gesture and remember your kindness when they’re ready to place another order.
Customer appreciation doesn’t need to be over the top or extravagant.
Sometimes the smallest gestures can make the biggest impact.
In a world where people have almost come to expect to have their actions taken for granted, show your customers that you are thankful for their patronage and care about them as individuals.