You can always count on store bought rotisserie chicken for a fast and easy weeknight meal, but that doesn’t mean it needs to be boring! This recipe can be on the table in about 20 minutes, plus it packs a lot of flavor into each bite.
- 12 oz. shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 T. ancho chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 extra large flour tortillas (or 8 smaller ones)
- 12 oz. shredded Mexican cheese mix (can substitute with a mixture of cheddar and Monterey Jack), plus a little extra for garnish, if desired.
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, stems removed and coarsely chopped.
- 1 T. fresh cilantro, stems removed and coarsely chopped, for garnish
- Place shredded rotisserie chicken in a medium glass bowl. Combine chili powder, garlic, lime juice, cumin, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl, then pour over shredded chicken. Toss to coat thoroughly.
- Heat a 12″ non-stick skillet over medium heat and add one tortilla. For extra large tortillas, place 1/4 of the seasoned chicken on one side (for smaller tortillas, cover the entire surface). Layer 3 oz. of shredded cheese on top and 1/2 T. of chopped fresh cilantro. Fold over the remaining side of tortilla (or place a second smaller one on top) and gently flip over once the bottom tortilla is nicely browned.
- Gently press on top of tortilla after flipped for better contact with the pan and to help melt the cheese inside. Continue cooking until the second side is browned, as well.
- Remove from pan and cover to keep warm while repeating the process the remaining ingredients. To serve, top each warm tortilla with a little shredded cheese and fresh cilantro. Delicious with salsa and guacamole, if desired.